The New York Comic Con has just announced an updated policy regarding Cosplay Firearms and Weapons for their upcoming convention, which will take place October 6-9.
The new policy states that all prop weapons and prop firearms have to be made of cardboard or foam only. Additionally, the barrel of all prop firearms must be covered with brightly-colored caps.
They have also given a full list of banned items, which include selfie sticks. The list includes:
- Functional firearms (including air soft guns, BB guns, cap guns, paintball guns and pellet guns)
- Realistic replica firearms (including reproduction, fake or toy guns that can be confused for functional firearms)
- Functional projectile weapons (including blow guns, crossbows, long bows, silly string, slingshots, water balloons and water guns)
- Sharpened metal-bladed weapons (including axes, daggers, hatches, knives, kunai, shuriken, swords, sword canes and switch blades)
- Explosives (including firecrackers and fireworks)
- Chemical weapons (including mace and pepper spray)
- Blunt weapons (including brass knuckles, clubs and nunchaku)
- Hard prop weapons (including props made of metal, fiberglass, PVC, wood and glass)
- Instruments that cause excessive noise levels like vuvuzelas, grenade whistles and grenade horns
- Aerosol mustard
- Selfie sticks
The above applies to the primary convention space at The Jacob Javits Center. Many of the panels will take place at The Theater at Madison Square Garden, which has it’s own policies on cosplay and weapons.
The change in policy comes as weapons and cosplay have made the news in recent weeks. Last weekend police were called because of a cosplayer carrying a replica weapon on public transportation on the way to Fan Expo Canada.
Last month DS Arms, a manufacturer of real firearms as well as replica firearms was not allowed to set up in their booth at Wizard World Chicago. DS Arms was also the sponsor of “The Armory” at last weekend’s Dragon Con, which shows various types of bladed weapons, firearms and explosives.